Mar 11, 2008

Juicy Tidbit Tuesday *Nasty Boys*

All through elementary I was quite the shy one. I know, hard to believe isn't it. But I didn't like to draw a lot of attention to myself in the classroom. However, when it came to performing or 'showing off'', I was all over it.

As long as I had a legitimate reason to be on a stage, I was there. From 3rd grade until 6th grade the same 4 friends and I would dance in the school talent show. We would choreograph the dance, make our own costumes and everything. Of course we thought we were the coolest group in school too. (we were so lame it isn't even funny)

I believe it was my 4th grade year that the five of us started getting ready for the annual LakeRidge Elementary talent show. We were going to wear black leotards (how 80's), with hot pick belts and hair bows made out of netting. (scratchy!) We had picked our song and took turns practicing at each other's homes.

While we were at my friend Barbara's practicing one night we had her bring her mom and dad in the room so we could get an audience and some feedback. I honestly think that we had a 'single' of our song on a record! How's that for old-school?

Anyway, Barbara's mom and dad were sitting on the couch all smiley until about 30 seconds into the song when the lyrics started. Barbara's mom got this horrified look on her face and pulled the record off the player. We all just stopped dancing and stared at her. We didn't have any idea why she would be so upset. She called my mom as well as everyone else's and drilled them about what we had chosen to dance to.

Of course all of the other moms said they had no idea about our poor judgment and agreed that there was no way that we would be dancing to that song. We had been practicing for weeks and all of us girls were pretty bent out of shape. Poor Barbara had to hear us all complain how it was all her mom's fault for spoiling our dance! That only lasted for a day or two until we decided that Phil Collins' Sussudio would work just fine with our moves.

Honestly, at 10 years old we had no idea that dancing to Nasty Boys would be a big deal. Just goes to show you how clueless kids can be! I remember singing along to lots of songs and then years later singing along and thinking "that is a really disgusting song". Just think back to 80's 'glam metal'....need I say more?

Even though I am glad that our moms stopped us from looking like trailer trash in front of our peers, to this day I still don't like the song Sussudio. Janet Jackson was so much cooler.....

The end.

3 comments:

Becky said...

That's so funny! I've been thinking the same thing lately, songs I used to love, I'll hear them and they are not so good!

Karolee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karolee said...

Like Grease?! I can't believe my parents let us watch that movie so much! Good thing we had no idea what it all meant! :)