Ok, it's been a while so I'll share a good one with you all. Mom, you may not appreciate this one, so I apologize in advance...
Throughout my school years, my mom insisted on making 'cold' lunches for us. At one time my older sisters were able to have school (hot) lunch, but that ended after my mom joined my sister at school for lunch one day. Apparently that was the day that the cooks had run out of taco meat for crisp tacos and substituted it with a hot dog. I know, gross. Ever since then my mom made our lunch.
I'm not going to go into detail about the sorts of 'lunches' that my mom made because A) she'll be really mad, and B) I would need about 5 pages to talk about them. However, I will say that it was always a surprise/scare when I would open my lunch bag. (use your imagination)
By jr. high I was pretty savvy with the whole scary lunch thing. My sister and I would salvage the apple that my mom always added, and we would buy a Coke for ourselves with the change that we looted from my dad's underwear drawer. Sometimes we would have enough money for a doughnut as well. We were so healthy weren't we? This was our daily routine during our entire first quarter of school.
When parent-teacher conference time rolled around at the end of that quarter I was feeling pretty good about my performance at school. I wasn't concerned at all about my parents meeting with all of my teachers. What I should have been concerned about was the customary "locker check" that happens at each conference. (little did I know)
Apparently, when my parents opened my lovely locker they found that someone had stuffed an entire quarter's worth of sack lunches inside. I can only imagine how awful that smell was, and I am surprised that it didn't seem to bother me opening that door every single day! I know that I could have thrown the lunches away in the trash, but then I might have been spotted carrying something that didn't quite resemble real food. (oh the vanity!)
My parents were furious and I got quite the talking to. My mom 'punished' me by forcing me to make my own lunch everyday. This was one punishment that I was very happy to receive!
The End.
Mar 25, 2008
Juicy Tidbit Tuesday *School Lunches*
Posted by Karolee at 11:12 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
That is a hilarious story! My mom insisted on making my lunches in grade school. I was so jealous of the kids who got to buy theirs. She made us pb&j every day and she would butter the bread first! Yuck!
Hot Dog tacos? Gross! Give me your email so I can "invite" you to my blog.
Sure Nicole, it's karolee.fritz@gmail.com and thanks!
Alys, I would have been more than happy with pb&j. Seriously.
:)
Post a Comment