Feb 8, 2008

Fun Food Friday *Cafe Rio Salads*

In Utah it's called Cafe Rio, here I believe it is Costa Vida, either way they have really yummy salads! This is the recipe for the pork, but you can use chicken as well. I have seen quite a few versions of this recipe, but this one worked well for me!


Pork


  • 4-5lb. pork roast chicken breasts
  • 1 can green chilis
  • 1 small bottle of salsa (or 1 can red enchilada sauce)
  • 1 can of Coke (diet or any caffineated beverage of your choice)
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 2 cloves of garlic mined

Put pork and garlic in crock pot and add water until it reaches half way up the roast. Cook on high for 3 hours or until you can pull the meat apart easily. At that point, drain the water and add the rest of the ingredients.

Cook for 2 more hours or until the meat reaces the appropriate temperature. I don't always add a full cup of sugar if I add salsa instead of the enchilada sauce. I also usually use diet coke and it is still plenty sweet!

To serve, sprinkle a little bit of cheese on a tortilla and warm up slightly. At Cafe Rio they put the tortilla in a pie tin. I think it is easier to eat this way. Put a scoop of the pork in the tortilla, as well as some black beans and steamed rice. Top with salad greens, avacado and tomatoes. And of course, don't forget the creamy salad dressing (see recipe below), and the crispy tortilla strips on top!



Cafe Rio Salad Dressing


  • 1 buttermilk ranch dressing packet
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 3/4 cup mayonnaise (you can use light or fat free)
  • 2 tomatillos (tomato like vegetable with a husk around them)
  • 1/2 bunch of cilantro
  • 1 clove garlic
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • 1 jalapeƱo (Use the seeds too if you like it spicy.

Use a food processor or blender to mix! This makes quite a bit, and I love it on tacos or just to dip chips in as well!

There is a recipe for the cilantro-lime rice, but I just squeeze a lime over my finished salad Maybe next week I'll do the rice recipe to go with Jake's fresh Peach Mango Salsa! You don't want to miss this recipe! Find it here next Friday!

3 comments:

Becky said...

Yumm, another recipe to try! I made the pasta one from one of your last posts, and it was really yummy!

Stacia said...

Thanks for the yummy recipes. I'm always looking for something new to try.

Karolee said...

Thanks! Don't forget to check out the salsa recipe too! It's great as a side dish with this!

I'm so excited you tried out that recipe Becky! It makes my day!